The Democrats, long ago taken over by progressive, liberal Marxists, are still clinging to class warfare as a tactic to maintain power in America. The divide and conquer strategy employed by the likes of Nancy Pelosi, Barack Obama, Harry Reid and their forefathers and foremothers is pretty simple; find a point where 51% of Americans will benefit from something and screw the other 49%.
The Democrats, long ago taken over by progressive, liberal Marxists, are still clinging to class warfare as a tactic to maintain power in America. The divide and conquer strategy employed by the likes of Nancy Pelosi, Barack Obama, Harry Reid and their forefathers and foremothers is pretty simple; find a point where 51% of Americans will benefit from something and screw the other 49%. It works most of the time too because of the greed in the hearts of so many to stick it to someone else perceived to have more than them.
Democrats in Congress thought for sure they had another instance where they could implement this diabolical and anti-American strategy with regards to tax rates and what the future ones would be come January 1st, 2011. With federal income tax rates and a myriad of other sordid taxes set to change in an upward direction with the start of the New Year, liberals laid out their plan of attack. They want to keep the current tax rates for most Americans but they also want to let those for Americans making over $250,000 per year revert to previous and higher levels. They thought that because so many Americans would benefit from this plan that people would be behind them in significant enough numbers and they could once again conduct business as usual.
But that has not happened. Divide and conquer has failed. In fact reputable polling has shown that the American people are firmly against raising taxes on anyone regardless of their income. Democrats are, to say the least, shocked by this. After all, this is not the way it has worked in the past when the sheep have stood there and been sheered without a fight. It was even one of the major issues in last Novemberís elections where Americans turned out Democrats in droves to repudiate the party's leadership in Congress over the last four years and the White House over the last two.
Even though the will of the people is clear however it has not stopped the Democrats from pushing forward with a tax plan that only holds rates for those under $250,000 in income while raising taxes on those above that limit. This plan has passed the House with Nancy Pelosi smiling gleefully. Yes, even though there was bipartisan opposition to this maneuver no one has yet to wipe the Joker like grin from her lips. On the other side of the Capitol in the Senate, Republicans and a few Democrats are certain to filibuster any such similar plan and abort it should it come up between now and year's end.
Thus, with the liberal Democrats firmly set in their ways of seeing the so-called rich as in need of having their taxes raised and President Obama pretty much in agreement it is almost certain that as of January 1st, all of our taxes are going to go up. Is there any way around this eventuality at this point? Not unless both Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid get new and functional brains in the next couple weeks, President Obama has a stroke of sanity or the Republicans cave to imaginary pressure and give the liberals what they want.
I know what some of you are saying. You are saying why not just pass the tax rate extension the Democrats will go for now and then come January the Republicans can push for the rest of them to be extended retroactively as well? What a foolís errand that thought process is. Republicans will control the House. However by my count they will be well short of the 60 votes required to overcome a filibuster in the Senate. Further, with Harry Reid still in charge of that later body you can bet your bottom dollar that he will use every parliamentary procedure at his disposal to prevent such a plan from ever coming to a vote even if a filibuster could be beaten. Then there is the man in the White House, a man who would never sign such a bill into law and whose veto would require a two thirds vote in Congress to override. Think that will happen? Then I laugh at you.
No, this is a stand the Republicans must make here. The income tax rates along with all other federal tax rates must be held steady and they must be done as a package deal for all Americans. Otherwise there will be no next time and some will get screwed while others get theirs.
As a member of the middle class I want to tell the GOP that I stand firmly behind them and their insistence that all current tax rates be at the very least held steady without an increase for anyone. Furthermore I am perfectly willing to accept that because of this stand my taxes will indeed go up if the childish Democrats want to force the issue into the New Year by refusing to abandon their class warfare model of governance. And I am ok with that on principle.
Sure I will pay more. And sure I will become angrier with the federal government than I currently am if I have to pay more. But I will target my anger at the source of the problem which is all those liberals who think that one person is more entitled to the money they earn than another is. I will not become angry with the GOP, at least not over this issue, as long as they fight for what is right and just.
I just wanted to let you guys and gals know it. Now do not go wobbly on me. Sometimes the principle of the thing is more important than personal benefit. A shocking and uncommon revelation for certain in todayís society which is mostly me, me, me at the expense of everyone elseís well being and even the Constitution itself. But it is one that I am certain is becoming more and more common in the hearts of most Americans.
And for all you rich liberals out there whining that you do not think you pay enough in taxes, well I remind you that you can freely donate whatever extra you think you should be paying in taxes to the federal government. It is a pretty well kept secret however that you hacks on the left never take advantage of that option. So to help you out I thought I would give you the information. Just whip out your checkbook and make the check payable to the United States Treasury. Sign it and then mail all that money you feel you should be forced to give up but are not to Gifts to the United States, U.S. Department of the Treasury, Credit Accounting Branch, 3700 East-West Highway, Room 622D, Hyattsville, MD 20782.
Stop demanding that we put our money where your mouths are. It is time for you liberals to put up or shut up.